Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A fleeting thought.

The older I get, the more I seem to forget.
For example, I have found myself being in my car. I am driving. Music playing. I'm singing and I sound fantastic. At some point I realize, I have no idea to where I'm supposed to be driving. And my uncertainty lasts like... 5 minutes sometimes. This bothers me.

The other night, I was with a friend and we were chatting about what we did over the weekend. I really struggled with what in the hell I had done just the day before.
Yet... just today, I randomly recalled a moment from about four years ago and chuckled about it to myself. At the same time, I wondered how on earth I can remember things from long ago but not have a clue where I was only yesterday. And as I type this... I have no idea what it was from four years ago that I was even thinking about. I'm impressed that I'm even remembering this entire thought in the first place.

I remember the outfit I was wearing the first day of my sophomore year. I remember what music I was listening to on my tape player [yes... tape player, not CD, not MP3 player] as I was flying overseas to France when I was 17-years old. I remember the first and last name of the boy I had a crush on in 2nd grade. I remember the brand of cigarettes that my co-worker from 1991 smoked.

I can remember exactly what I was doing and what I was wearing on March 23, 1996. [I worked that day... got home early... showered... used vanilla shower gel... put on a beige top with shorts... my long hair was wet against my cheeks as I peeled and ate a banana while sitting on the couch talking to the person who was there with me as Sinead O'Connor played in the background....]

But I can't often remember what I did yesterday or the day before and sometimes even earlier that same day.
So. Uh. Does this mean that like 11 years from now, I won't be able to remember what I did the day before but I will remember what I did today?

No comments:

i needed something to fill this empty space so here you go:

i wish i could live in a kick ass tree house like the swiss family robinson ~ when i was a little girl, i used to whip the shit out of my rag doll, lucy, with a belt ~ lucy was very bad ~ i love rainy days ~ i wear flip flops all the time ~ i still have to hold my nose with my fingers when i go under the water ~ i cannot do a cartwheel ~ i think angelina jolie is fuckin' smokin' hot ~ i get bored easily ~ i don't mind doing laundry~ i am a night owl ~ i bite my nails sometimes